Inspirations from everyday life
Zojirushi Corporation began operation more than 90 years ago with the launch of its first glass-lined vacuum bottle - setting an industry standard for new vacuum insulation technology in an everyday household product and firmly establishing itself as a company which uses cutting edge technology to bring comfort, ease, vitality and affluence into the lives of its customers worldwide.
Improving customers' quality of life through creation of innovative products remains the heart of Zojirushi's corporate philosophy. Based on this philosophy, Zojirushi has used its advanced technologies to develop an impressive household lineup over the past nine decades: indoor and outdoor products tailored to meet the needs of today's active lifestyles; easy-to-use and convenient rice cookers; compact and attractive electric water boilers; beverage dispensers elegant enough to use in the living room; and a variety of stainless steel vacuum bottles that are perfect for all types of outdoor activities are just a few examples of our products.
Staying one step ahead of evolving consumer tastes, Zojirushi continues to launch a constant stream of top-selling cooking and food preservation products that are high in quality and attractive in design. Zojirushi is dedicated to offering a new generation of products that exemplify ease, affluence and style in its three main business areas: Cooking appliances, food and beverage preservation and amenities for both home and industry. It will continue to offer attractive products that cater to modern needs based on its guiding philosophy - to improve customers' quality of life through innovative technology - into the 21st Century and beyond.
- 1918 Ichikawa Brothers Trading Company is established in Osaka.
- 1948 Corporate name is changed to Kyowa Manufacturing Co., Ltd.; vacuum bottle manufacturing and sales begin.
- 1953 Corporate name is changed to Kyowa Vacuum Bottle Co., Inc.
- 1961 Name is changed to Zojirushi Corporation and the elephant is adopted as the corporate logo; ZO means elephant in Japanese, which symbolizes strength, intelligence and familiarity.
- 1964 Japan's first automated vacuum bottle production equipment is developed and mass production of glass vacuum bottle liners begins.
- 1968 Osaka factory is opened.
- 1970 Construction of Osaka Head Office building and Shiga Manufacturing Plant are completed and a new electric rice warmer is launched.
- 1973 Air Pot® dispenser is launched and Zojirushi receives high acclaim for this push-type beverage dispenser.
- 1980 Sale of electric air pot® dispensers commenced.
- 1981 Stainless steel double wall vacuum bottles are launched; stainless steel vacuum bottle manufacturing process is patented and the TUFFBOY line is introduced.
- 1983 Micro computerized, Micom electric rice cooker/warmer is introduced.
- 1985 Tokyo Main Office is completed.
- 1986 Zojirushi lists shares on the Second Section of the Osaka Securities Exchange. Zojirushi’s corporate identity is introduced, and Union Zojirushi Co., Ltd. in Thailand is established.
- 1987 Zojirushi America Corporation is established in California, U.S.A.
- 1988 The Home Bakery® breadmaker is introduced.
- 1993 Minuet Computer Integrated Manufacturing system is launched.
- 1995 Zojirushi Hong Kong Co., Ltd. and Zojirushi-Simatelex Co., Ltd. are established.
- 1998 Zojirushi celebrates its 80th anniversary, and its Shiga Factory is certified with ISO9002.
- 1999 Osaka and Shiga Factory are certified with ISO14001.
- 2000 Osaka Factory is certified with ISO9001.
- 2001 President Norio Ichikawa is appointed, and "Mimamori Hotline" project is launched to help monitor the elderly through their use of an electric "I-Pot."
- 2002 Zojirushi Taiwan Corporation is established in Taiwan.
- 2003 Zojirushi Shanghai Corporation is established in Shanghai, China.
2008 Zojirushi celebrates its 90th anniversary, and the Vacuum Bottle & Air Pot® Pavilion opens at the Osaka Head